April 28, 2013

Derby Week 139 Willkommen!

Since I have just returned from a North Texas German Fest, I want to welcome you to Kentucky Derby Week hundertneununddreißig (better known as #139 to non-Deutschlanders)!  This year's bunch of sophomores have seemed to morph into a group of "haves" and "have-nots."  A lofty few are repeat winners this winter/spring; Orb, Verrazano, Revolutionary and Goldencents. But the majority have seemed to play supporting actor roles to the aforementioned headliners. This long list includes Vyjack, Itsmyluckyday, Oxbow, Palace Malice, Frac Daddy, Falling Sky, Mylute, Charming Kitten, Normandy Invasion and Java's War (although a recent win over a synthetic track). The final group has been lightly raced and unproven against top competition; Overanalyze, Black Onyx, Will Take Charge, Governor Charlie, Lines of Battle, Winning Cause.

Fortunately, I zeroed in on the right two horses early in the spring and have watched both Verrazano and Revolutionary make me look like an experienced "railbird" race after race. The tough part now is deciding on only one for my official pick since they could not have more opposite running styles leading into the 10 furlong affair. And while conventional wisdom would point to the closer, my methods are anything but conventional. I will wait and share my picks late in the week as I would hate to be accused of corrupting any of your personal choices!

I have also come across a true sleeper pick that I will share after the post position draw that could really fuel a monster exotics ticket. Man, there's nothing like the anticipation of Kentucky Derby week so let's make the most of each day this week!  Check back tomorrow for more Derby history and later in the week for a tribute to recently deceased sire, Storm Cat.

To help find YOUR Derby horse, I am attaching a couple of my favorite references...

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/workouts

http://www.horseracingnation.com/p/c/kentucky_derby_2013_contenders

No comments: